Students planning to participate in any education abroad program – study abroad, international internships, service-learning, or any other program where credit will be granted – need to apply formally to TCNJ to have their credit counted toward their TCNJ degrees. Students who do not apply formally to TCNJ for study abroad will not have access to their financial aid and will not have their overseas credit counted toward their degrees. This page provides a step-by-step guide to completing the TCNJ application process; please read carefully and follow the instructions as noted.
Key dates to keep in mind:
- If you are studying abroad in the Spring semester, your application must be submitted on/before September 22. (Students seeking to petition for approval of programs not listed in our directory need to follow our petition procedures.)
- If you are studying abroad in the Summer, Fall, or Academic Year following the present one, your application must be submitted on/before February 23. (Students seeking to petition for approval of programs not listed in our directory need to follow our petition procedures.)
- If you are studying abroad in a summer short-term program led by TCNJ faculty, your application must be submitted by December 1 (for full consideration). Late applications will be considered on a space available basis.
- If you are studying abroad in a winter short-term program led by TCNJ faculty, your application must be submitted by September 29 (for full consideration). Late applications will be considered on a space available basis.
- If you are considering submitting a late application, please contact the CGE staff immediately to discuss your options. (A late fee of $50 will be added to the study abroad application fee for Spring, Summer, Fall, or Academic Year study abroad.)
1. Find a program
- Use the TCNJ Program Directory and identify possible study abroad programs. Use the filters to specify particular countries, subjects to study, or program providers (search options available: List All, Simple Search, Advanced Search, Featured Programs, Map Search). To find TCNJ-sponsored programs, scroll to the bottom of the ‘Provider’ filter and pick the appropriate TCNJ option. Should students not see their desire study abroad programs in the program directory, they will need to pursue the Petition process to gain program approval. Please contact the CGE at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the petition process.
- Think, most importantly, about which locations would best suit your needs in terms of courses/credits, as well as location preference. The world is at your fingertips!
2. Select your desired term – Click ‘Apply’
- You can fill out as much or little of the application as you’d like; you can always withdraw the application so don’t hesitate!
3. Login to begin filling out the application
- If you are a TCNJ student, log in using your TCNJ username and password. If you are not a TCNJ student, click on ‘I do not have login credentials to this site’ and follow the instructions
- You will need to complete a TCNJ study abroad application AND a separate application required by the specific program.
4. Submit all required materials
- On your ‘Program Application Page,’ you will need to submit all required ‘Material Submissions,’ ‘Signature Documents,’ ‘Recommendations,’ and ‘Application Questionnaires.’ Once received, the check-boxes will be marked.
- Most of the materials can be submitted electronically, EXCEPT:
o Academic evaluation form
o Application fee receipt (obtained from Student Accounts, Green Hall 119)
o Medical clearance form
- The recommendations may be submitted electronically, by mail, or via email by the professor, but NOT the student
5. Pay the Application Fee
- Faculty led programs, this fee is $150 (non-refundable unless the program is cancelled or you are not accepted)
- All semester and non-TCNJ faculty led summer programs, this fee is $425 (non-refundable)
- If you are not accepted, you may also put this application fee towards another program in the future
6. Submit your application
- Once you complete the ‘Pre-Decision Phase,’ you will receive notification of your acceptance and directions to complete for the next steps in your admissions process.
*Note: Late applications may be accepted if space is available, but students will pay an additional $50 late application fee to have their applications processed and expedited to our partners abroad.
*If at any time you require assistance, contact the Center for Global Engagement at 609-771-2596, email@example.com, or visit Roscoe West 202.