TCNJ works with Spring Hill College’s Italy Center in Bologna, Italy, to offer its students a meaningful study abroad experience in Europe’s oldest university city! The Italy Center focuses much of its curricular and co-curricular programming on human rights and social justice – which makes it a great fit for TCNJ, as we have highlighted both “Community Engagement” and “Global Engagement” as TCNJ Signature Experiences for our students. Students interested in improving their Italian language skills have ample opportunity to take Italian courses as well. This program has worked very well for International Studies, History (and History Secondary Education), and anyone with an interest in undergraduate student research abroad. (Several years ago, one of our students in Italy, Mary Jane Dempsey ’13, won the Forum on Education Abroad’s undergraduate research award for an essay based on her work in Bologna.)
Courses in the Humanities (including Art History and Religious Studies) and Social Sciences
- Spring 2016 Cost billed by TCNJ: $14,021.82 (includes tuition/fees, room, half-board (two meals/day). An additional TCNJ Italy Excursion fee of $1,350 will be charged to TCNJ Italy students to cover expenses related to the program’s extensive program of multi-day excursions in the Balkans, the Swiss Alps, and/or North Africa (depending on the semester’s schedule). The TCNJ Italy Excursion fee must be paid to participate in the program.
- Summer 2016 Cost billed by TCNJ: TBD
- Fall 2016 Cost billed by TCNJ: TBD
- Additional Expenses: lunches, transatlantic airfare, insurance, passport
- There is a limit of six (6) TCNJ students in the Fall 2016 semester and six (6) TCNJ students in the Spring 2017 semester. Additional students may be considered for admission on a space-available basis.
For more information about Bologna, go to the Italy Center’s Bologna page and follow the links provided on it for an excellent introduction to “Bologna, la Dotta.”
TCNJ students may use their entire financial aid and scholarship award to cover expenses related to the TCNJ Italy program in Bologna.
Students seeking a study abroad program in Italy with a purpose that goes beyond sightseeing and good food will very much enjoy this unique offering.