Study in Madrid, one of the world’s most cosmopolitan and vibrant cities (check out this The New York Times article that agrees)! Travel through Spanish art, architecture and history in guided tours to historic sites. Visit some of the oldest and most beautiful cities in the world – Toledo, Segovia and Avila – designed as World Heritage Sites by the UNESCO.
Students live in the international dormitory, Casa do Brasil, located near the Universidad Complutense campus and have different course options in order to take a Spanish course that meets their curriculum and proficiency needs. Students experience the real Spanish life-style by meeting native students eager to converse and socialize with Americans.
In order to qualify for admission to the program, students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.5. All students must register for SPA 171 – Cultural Sites and Explorations: Madrid and Beyond (0.5 units), in addition to one of the following 1 unit courses:
- SPA 103 – Beginning Spanish III (1 unit). SPA 103 completes language requirement – taught by Dr. Agustín Otero
- SPA 203 – Intermediate Oral Proficiency (1 unit) – taught by Dr. Deborah Compte (Prerequisites: SPA 103 or Oral Placement Test)
- SPA 216 – Current Events (1 unit) – taught by Dr. Dr. Deborah Compte (Prerequisites: SPA 203/210 and 211)
- SPA 270 – Topics in Spanish Culture (1 unit) – taught by Dr. Agustín Otero (Prerequisites: SPA 203/210 and 211)
- SPA 370– Cultures of Spain (1 unit) – taught by Dr. Agustín Otero (Prerequisites: Three SPA 200 courses)
Please note: Heritage speakers of Spanish may enroll in SPA 216 (without the SPA 210 prerequisite course) with the permission of the program director. Please contact Dr. Otero for further details.
Courses: SPA 171 AND SPA 103, SPA 203, SPA 216, SPA 270, or SPA 370 (Students on this program will earn a total of 1.5 units)
Dates: July 1 – August 2, 2019
Program Directors: Dr. Agustín Otero, Associate Professor of Spanish, & Dr. Deborah Compte, Professor of Spanish
Wednesday half-day trips to Madrid museums & historical monuments:
- El Prado
- El Palacio de Oriente
- El Museo Nacional de Arte Reina Sofía
Friday full-day trips to other regions in Spain:
Please contact the TCNJ Center for Global Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org, 609-771-2596.
Please review our refund, cancellation, and withdrawal policy statement should a student not be able to participate in the program.