TCNJ Study Abroad Withdrawal/Refund/Cancellation Policy
If a student chooses to withdraw from a TCNJ study abroad program (including, but not limited to, Study Center, Exchange, Faculty-Led or Provider programs), they must submit a completed Withdrawal Form to the Center for Global Engagement. This TCNJ Study Abroad Withdrawal Form can be downloaded/printed out, picked up from Green Hall 107, or requested via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Withdrawals will become effective on the date a completed and signed Withdrawal Form is received and also signed off by a staff member in the Center for Global Engagement. The form may be delivered as hard copy or email attachment.
The administrative fee of $450 for semester/summer programs or $150 for faculty-led programs is only refundable if the student is not accepted to participate in the program.
The $500 confirmation fee for Faculty-Led programs is only refundable if the student withdraws prior to the application deadline for the program or the student is not accepted to participate in the program.
If an accepted student chooses to withdraw after the application deadline and prior to the start of the program, he or she will be responsible for paying any unrecoverable program costs that the TCNJ Center for Global Engagement or the program has incurred on his or her behalf. Such costs may include, but are not limited to: pre-paid meals; pre-paid room or housing reservation deposits; airline deposits or airline tickets; bus rental fees and payments for guides. Thus, even if the student has not yet paid the full program balance and does not attend the program, he or she is responsible for paying these unrecoverable program costs. Therefore, it is in the student’s best interest to submit a completed Withdrawal Form to the Center for Global Engagement immediately upon making a decision to withdraw in order to minimize unrecoverable expenses made on the student’s behalf.
If a student chooses to withdraw after the program has begun, for any reason, including academic or conduct, no refunds will be given, and the student will be responsible for any unpaid balance. In addition, any student who withdraws before completion of the program may not be eligible to receive academic credit from the program.
(Note: If a student is required to return to the U.S. after a program’s commencement due to serious illness, death, or death within the immediate family, The Center for Global Engagement will make every effort to refund recoverable costs to the student. A full refund, however, cannot be guaranteed.)
If a student chooses not to participate in an arranged program activity (such as a field trip, excursion, cultural event, included meals, etc.), no portion of the program activity cost will be refunded.
If a student is dismissed from a program due to behavioral, academic, legal, or other related issues, no refunds will be given, and the student will be responsible for any unpaid balance.
- Students receiving financial aid should consult with the TCNJ Office of Financial Aid for information about how withdrawing from a program would affect their federal, state, or institutional aid.
- If a student is removed from the program due to behavioral, academic, legal or other related issues, he or she will be responsible for paying any unrecoverable program costs (as outlined above). Thus, even if the student has not yet paid the full program balance and does not attend the program, he or she may be responsible for paying these unrecoverable program costs.)
Program Cancellation Policy:
Because student safety is of critical importance, The College of New Jersey reserves the right to cancel any TCNJ- program in a location that is considered unsafe by The College or for which the U.S. Department of State has issued a Travel Warning. The Center for Global Engagement regularly reviews information provided by the U.S. Department of State for information about the countries where TCNJ students are or will be studying.
If the program should be canceled, the following policies will apply:
– If TCNJ cancels a program for safety reasons prior to the start of the program or after the program has begun, The Center for Global Engagement will make every effort to refund recoverable program costs to the participants. Unrecoverable program expenses (e.g., airline deposits, excursion expenses, housing fees or reservation deposits) cannot be refunded, and therefore, a full refund cannot be guaranteed.
– If TCNJ cancels a program after the program has started due to safety concerns, an emergency, or a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning, The Center for Global Engagement will make every effort to help students complete the academic work from the program and, depending on the circumstances, possibly earn the intended academic credit from the program. Whether or not this is possible depends largely on the particular program, the circumstances of the academic work of the program, and the length of time remaining in the program after the official cancellation date.
– If TCNJ cancels a program for reasons other than safety, including under-enrollment, The Center for Global Engagement will make every effort to refund recoverable program costs to the participants. However, a full refund cannot be guaranteed.
- The Office of Student Financial Assistance will review program cancellations on a case-by-case basis for students who are receiving financial aid.
- Because full refunds are often not possible, students may wish to consider purchasing trip cancellation insurance that can be obtained through many travel agents or insurance companies. Policies vary on when trip cancellation insurance must be purchased, so students should check with travel insurance providers for more details.
- Please note that medical insurance is included in the overall cost of all TCNJ Faculty-Led programs. Students are not allowed to opt out of this insurance, but they are welcome to purchase any additional insurance they deem necessary, such as trip cancellation insurance.