Would you like to live in a castle set in the English countryside – where we will have class in the Gold Room, enjoy High Tea in the Conservatory, and have a formal banquet in the Great Hall? We will also travel to Stratford-upon-Avon and London in England; then onto Europe, where we will study Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet in Verona, Italy; F. Scott Fitzgerald’s Tender is the Night on the French Riviera; and Ernest Hemingway’s The Sun Also Rises in Pamplona, Spain. Come with us and bring literature to life!
Students travel through Europe to study the “Literary Landscapes” where classic literary works were written and take place. When not traveling to these featured sites, class is taught in the Gold Room of Harlaxton Castle in England.
Course: LIT 370-01: Special Topics: “Literary Landscapes” — Harlaxton/England and Italy, France, and Spain
Liberal Learning: Literary, Visual and Performing Arts
Dates: June 19 – July 11, 2017
Program Director: Dr. Michele Lise Tarter, Professor of English
Eligibility: No Pre-Requisites, Language Requirements, or GPA Restrictions – Open to all students (including current first-year students)
Summer 2017 Program Cost: $5,377.26 View budget sheet
- 1 night in London, including ride on the London Eye, a play in Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre, dinner at Shakespeare’s favorite pub (The Anchor Inn), and a tour of The Tower
- 2 nights in Stratford-upon-Avon, including a walking tour of Shakespeare’s birthplace and town, Anne Hathaway’s Cottage, and a performance at The Royal Shakespeare Theatre
- High Tea in Harlaxton’s Conservatory
- A formal banquet in Harlaxton’s Great Hall
- Day trip to Sherwood Forest and Nottingham Castle and Caves
- 2 nights in Verona, Italy, including walking tour of Verona, visit to Juliet’s balcony, and traditional Italian dinner
- 2 nights in Antibes, France (French Riviera), including High Tea in Fitzgerald Bar, tour of Musee Picasso, and visit to many Fitzgerald haunts; day trip to Monaco
- 3 nights in Barcelona, including visits to museums, markets, and traditional Spanish dinner
- 2 nights in Pamplona, including visit to Hemingway haunts, watching the Running with the Bulls, and a bullfight
Please contact the TCNJ Center for Global Engagement at email@example.com, 609-771-2596.
Please review our refund, cancellation, and withdrawal policy statement should a student not be able to participate in the program.